• Scooter & Friends Flickr Photos

  • Advertisements

Protect Your Pet Dog From Alcohol Poisoning

Yes, there is such a thing as alcohol poisoning and our pet dogs are very susceptible to it. Even though dogs have an instinct that warns them against consuming alcohol, sometimes their own curiosity, circumstances, and tastes acquired over time can conspire against them and they can ingest alcohol. The problem is that even a small dose of alcohol in the body can be very harmful for a dog; the problem only gets exacerbated if it is a small breed like Pomeranian or Chihuahua.

Foodstuff such as eggnogs and rum cakes contain alcohol, they smell good and taste good as well. We would be seriously guilty of ignorance if we feed crumbs and leftovers from such dishes to our dogs.

Hard liquors should be kept away from the reach of dogs. Even alcoholic drinks with low alcohol content such as beer, cocktails, and various liqueurs contain enough alcohol to cause damage to a dog’s system. Raisins and grapes do not agree with many canine breeds, so there is little chance of a dog’s system accepting wine made from grapes. Certain drinks can also contain artificial sweeteners such as xylitol; these are also harmful for your dog. Medicines contain alcohol too; keep the medicine chest out of the dog’s reach.

So as you can see, the issue is that there are too many tasty eatables and drinks that contain alcohol. Something as innocuous as fermented dough if ingested by your dog can lead to alcohol poisoning. It’s not easy to maintain a watch over Rover continuously. The correct thing to do is to be informed about food items that contain alcohol and keep them out of your pet dog’s reach. Keep the kitchen off limits for your pet dog. Clean up the table and the ground after eating even if the food was non-alcoholic in nature. It’s a matter of maintaining discipline as a pet parent and not letting your pet dog fall into the bad habit of picking up scraps and leftovers.

Dogs are also known to lap up from glasses so any unfinished drinks within your dog’s reach are asking for trouble.

If the animal has ingested alcohol, it will show symptoms such as difficulty in breathing and lethargic behavior. Because these symptoms can indicate other conditions as well, the vet will first try to determine the cause. If you can smell alcohol in the dog’s breath or have seen the animal consuming alcohol, then you know the cause and should call the vet immediately.

The amount of alcohol consumed will determine how fast the symptoms manifest; the size of the dog and whether the alcohol was consumed on an empty stomach are factors that will affect the animal’s resistance to the alcohol overdose.

View the original article here


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: